Monday, January 23, 2012

Start Something That Matters

It is easy to get caught up in the romanticism of doing something radical with our lives. Often times we graduate college and before long start longing for missionary work in a country we've never heard of. Few of us ever think about living a radical life in the suburbs or making a difference in the world by affecting the community we are currently in. (There is an interesting article about this concept that you can read here)


For me, this fantasizing about converting the world for Christ is only encouraged when I read the stories of people who have done amazing things in the world. In my mind they are living my dream. I often come away scheming of how I can reenact their life. However, that is not the case when I read Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie. His story definitely fits the mold of going to another country and being inspired to change the world, but his book is an encouragement for making a difference where you are at. He speaks to the passions that are already driving us; the tragedies that are already breaking our hearts and gives concrete advice for how to do something about it. Blake uses stories from successful and unsuccessful ventures to show how anyone can spark a movement and make a difference. His philosophy, I think, can be summarized in a few simply concepts: 



Trust People 


Goodness


Integrity


Simplicity


and Do


I highly recommend this book for anyone who is inspired by a need but frustrated by not know what to do about it. 


I want to hear from YOU. What breaks your heart and what would you do about it if money and resources were not an issue. What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail? 
Put your answers in the comments and I will choose one winner to receive a free copy of Start Something That Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment